Skip to content

Cyngor Sir Ynys Môn - Isle of Anglesey County Council

Cost of living support

The first heading on this page gives information on the cost of living payment and financial hardhip payment which may be available through the council and its partners.

Other headings offer information and guidance with the cost of living.

The main scheme has now ended.

Discretionary scheme

We have decided that the discretionary scheme fund will be used to support households that meet certain criteria.

Find out more about the discretionary cost of living payment

Anglesey Foodbank provides emergency food provision to those who are in need.

Get help from Anglesey Foodbank

MoneyHelper is a government-backed website that makes it easier to find the right advice and the right help for free, on issues such as debt, benefits, pensions and more. 

Go to MoneyHelper

Closed to new applications.

Go to the original information


If you are worried about your energy bills, you can call Nest and speak to one of their friendly advisors. They can offer free and impartial advice on:

  • saving energy and water
  • money management
  • making sure you’re on the best energy and water tariff
  • whether you are entitled to any benefits to boost your income

Get help from Nest

Welsh Water

If you're having trouble affording to pay your bill, Welsh Water have ways to help you.

Go to Welsh Water support information

Council tenants

If you are a council tenant and are struggling to pay your rent, please contact your Housing Management Officer on 01248 752 200 to discuss your concerns.  

Private rentals and mortgages


MoneyHelper is a government-backed website that makes it easier to find the right advice and the right help for free.

Go to MoneyHelper

Citizens Advice

Citizen's Advice gives free and impartial help and advice.

Go to the Citizens Advice website

School meals

Your child may be entitled to receive free school meals.

Find out more about free school meals

Pupil Development Grant

The Pupil Development Grant can help towards:

  • school uniform including coats and shoes
  • school sports kit including footwear
  • uniform for enrichment activities, including but not limited to, Scouts, Guides, Cadets, martial arts, sports, performing arts or dance
  • equipment, for example, school bags and stationery
  • specialist equipment where new curriculum activities begin, such as design and technology
  • equipment for out of school hours trips such as outdoor learning, for example, waterproofs
  • laptops and tablets (where the school is unable to loan equipment)

Find out more about the Pupil Development Grant

Welsh Water and free school meals

If you are family getting free school meals and you get a qualifying benefit, you may be able to get up to £230 off your annual water bill.

If you get:

  • Pension Credit
  • Income-based Job Seeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Reduction/support

Call 0800 052 0145

Find out more online from Welsh Water

You can use an independent, free and anonymous benefits calculator on the GOV.UK website to check what you could be entitled to.

Go the GOV.UK benefits calculator

If you are on a low income, you could get Council Tax Reduction to help you pay your Council Tax.

You can also find out about Council Tax discounts and exemptions.

Go to Council Tax Reduction

The Discretionary Assistance Fund provides 2 types of grant that you do not need to pay back.

Check your eligibility and apply for the Discretionary Assistance Fund

Carers Outreach Service will be arranging financial support to unpaid carers.

Please contact Carers Outreach Service on (01248) 370 797 or email

Further information

The following information gives details of national carers organisations who provide advice, information and support to unpaid carers in Wales.

Carers Wales: Provides advice and information to carers and the professionals who support carers. Advice line – Monday to Friday: 0808 808 7777 website

All Wales Forum: Provides a national voice to empower parents and carers of people with learning disabilities. 029 2081 1120 website

Carers Trust Wales: Committed to improving support and services for unpaid carers. 0300 772 9702 website

We are working with the UK Armed Forces Charity to support veterans experiencing financial hardship.

The council recently secured £580,000 to deliver the Discretionary Cost-of-Living Support Scheme on behalf of the Welsh Government. Part of this funding will be used to support local armed forces veterans.

The funding, based on assessed need, will provide a payment up to £300 per household, with the SSAFA’s Anglesey’s branch distributing the payment to eligible veterans.

Apply for support

Veterans requiring more information about this support should contact Kath Eastman on (01407) 861 171 or email

Citizen's Advice gives free and impartial help and advice on things like:

  • cost of living
  • debt
  • money advice
  • benefits
  • Council Tax
  • electricity, water and gas bills

and more.

Go to the Citizens Advice website

The Financial and Digital Inclusion Team gives free and confidential advice and support, such as:

  • accessing information about utility bills and financial assistance that may be available for water/gas and electric, including accessing credit for pre-payment meters for those who are having to self-isolate and are unable to visit a pay-point
  • accessing foodbanks if someone has no income/savings to buy food
  • budgeting advice
  • reporting any changes on Universal Credit Journal or managing a Universal Credit claim online

and more.

Find out more and make an appointment online

Information from Welsh Government for help with the cost of living, such as:

  • living costs
  • housing
  • financial help
  • benefits entitlement
  • school and childcare expenses
  • further and higher education costs
  • health and wellbeing

and more.

Go to Welsh Government cost of living advice