Isle of Anglesey County Council

Help with household costs

Rent and mortgages

Council tenants

If you are a council tenant and are struggling to pay your rent, please contact your Housing Management Officer on

01248 752 200 to discuss your concerns. 

Private rentals and mortgages


MoneyHelper is a government-backed website that makes it easier to find the right advice and the right help for free. 

Citizen’s Advice

Citizen’s Advice gives free and impartial help and advice. 

Go to the Citizens Advice website or call 0808 278 7932 

Help to Stay - Wales

The Help to Stay Wales Scheme offers support for Welsh homeowners who are in or facing financial difficulty in paying their mortgage.

Help with fuel costs at home

The Energy Bill Support Scheme came to an end in March 2023. 

  • If you are having difficulty paying for fuel at home we urge you to contact your supplier immediately
  • If you can’t afford to ‘top-up’ your prepayment meter most suppliers can give you emergency credit, and you may be able to receive more help if your supplier deems you vulnerable. This may be repayable in instalments.
  • You can request a referral to the Fuelbank Foundation from a partner organisation such as Citizens Advice if you meet the qualifying crisis criteria.
  • If you are 75 or over, have oil heating and your supplier is a member of UKIDFA you should be added to the Cold Weather Priority Initiative. If you are, your supplier must get you the fuel that you need.
  • Limited assistance with off grid fuel may be available through the council’s financial inclusion team but this will only be available until current funding expires. 
  • You can apply for a Discretionary Assistance (DAF) Emergency Assistance Payment. This is a fund of last resort and you must have applied for other sources of assistance such as a DWP budgeting loan or UC advance payment if applicable.

For full details and application go to the GOV.WALES website or telephone 0800 859 5924 

Cold Weather Payment

You may get Cold Weather Payments if you’re getting certain benefits or support for mortgage interest. You’ll get a payment if the average temperature drops to 0 degrees Celsius or below for 7 days in a row.

The scheme for 2023 to 2024 will open November 2023.

Most people are paid automatically if they qualify.

Warm Homes Discount

The Warm Homes Discount Scheme will reopen in October 2023. It is paid by the supplier as a discount on the bill.

Eligible persons should have received a letter by November or December 2023. There is no need to apply.

You can check your eligibility from October 2023.

You’ll need the name of your electricity supplier, details of any benefits you receive, the size and age of your property and if it has an energy performance certificate (EPC).

You can enter your postcode to find your EPC rating. 

Winter Fuel Payment

If you were born before 25 September 1957 you could get between £250 and £600 to help you pay your heating bills. This known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’.

The amount you get includes a ‘Pensioner Cost of Living Payment’. This will be between £150 and £300. You’ll get this extra amount in winter 2023 to 2024. This is in addition to any other cost of living payments you get with your benefit of tax credits.

Most people are paid automatically if they qualify.

The council is not responsible for implementing these plans and the council is not responsible for making the payment.

Register for a priority service with an energy supplier

If you are a resident with a disability, health condition, pensioner, with a child under 5 or pregnant you can get help to make your home as warm as possible.

This can be done with small changes to energy use, reducing drafts, insulation and other measures such as solar panels through schemes such as ECO and Nest. If you would like to know more about the Nest scheme and to see if you qualify, call

Freephone 0808 808 2244 or visit the Nest website

Understanding your bills and understanding tariffs

Consider installing a smart meter at home – ask your energy supplier.

Citizens Advice can help you understand your bills and tariffs. Call 0808 278 7932 

British Gas Energy Trust

A registered charity that helps individuals and families in poverty, suffering or other distress who are struggling to pay their gas and/or electricity debts.

The grants can also be used to cover funeral expenses. 

Call 01733 421 021 or go to the British Energy Trust website

Food and water bill

Bwyd Da Môn

Bwyd Da Môn community hub is centered on a not-for-profit shop, which re-distributes produce from a range of supermarkets and other food producers. The shop is a low-cost membership-based food club.

Access to food

This usually requires a referral from a partner agency so if you have a support worker speak to them or contact Citizens Advice or J.E. O’Toole Centre to request a referral.

Free school meals

There is information about free school meals on this website.


Go to the Welsh Water(Dŵr Cymru ) website or call 0800 917 2652 and ask about assistance with paying your bills such as the HelpU or WaterSure schemes. 

Phones and internet

Go to the phones and internet tab or search for cheap broadband on the Ofcom website


If you are struggling to afford essential period products, Isle of Anglesey County Council is committed to helping.

Free tampons and pads can be collected without unnecessary questioning and embarrassment at Cyswllt Môn in the council headquarters in Llangefni, the J.E. O’Toole Centre in Holyhead, council leisure centres, council libraries, secondary schools, Citizen’s Advice and Môn CF branches across the island.

Many GP surgeries and support services have agreed to participate and have been supplied with free products too.

We can also offer a limited amount of reusable products while we have them in stock.

Call 01407 760 208 and speak to Christine if you need more information, or call into any of the above locations to request products.

Go back to the main page