This scheme, offered by Isle of Anglesey County Council is to support local first time buyers to become the owner of a home that is affordable to them and bring back into use a long-term empty home in need of improvement.
This type of assistance is discretionary and subject to the availability of funding.
Please note that an offer of a grant is not guaranteed until you have submitted an application and received a formal approval from the Council.
Prospective applicants are advised to make initial enquiries with the Council prior to the purchase of the property and be in receipt of a grant application pack, prior to completion of the purchase.
Applications should be submitted within 6 weeks of the date of completion of purchase.
Qualifying properties should be:
- empty for a minimum period of six months prior to purchase, according to Council records. (You can contact the Empty Homes Officer to check this.)
- for sale on the open market or in the event of a private sale, buyers will be required to get an independent valuation from a RICS registered valuer. This valuation should note the current market value of the property to ensure that it has been purchased at market value. In need of renovation to make it warm, safe and secure
- in Council Tax Band A to D
The maximum deposit permitted is 25% of purchase price.
Eligibility criteria for applicants
Applicants must be absolute first time buyers
(Absolute first time buyer(s) are people who have never owned a property in the past, either on their own or as a couple.)
Applicants must have a local connection
Local connection means that the applicant, or at least one of the applicants has:
- lived or worked in Anglesey for a continuous period of five years or more immediately before submitting the application or
- lived on Anglesey for a continuous period of five years or more at some time in the past
Applications/applicants will be subject to a financial assessment to ensure that they have an affordable housing need.
(The full process, including the information that you will need to apply together with the qualifying criteria is available in Appendix A on this page).
Eligible works must be agreed, upon inspection by the Council, before an application can be submitted.
Any work undertaken prior to the home being assessed by the Council to determine grant eligible works, may disqualify you from applying and any works undertaken prior to receiving approval, will be at your own cost.
Consideration may be given to minor internal re-configuration to meet modern living standards, subject to the submission of a building control application.
Basic grant conditions
- Applicants must reside at the property for a minimum of 5 years after completion of the works.
- The grant will be secured as a local land charge for a period of five years from the date of completion of work and must be repaid, in full, if the applicant does not live in the property and/or sells the property before the end of the five year period.
- The maximum grant payable is £25,000 and the grant awarded will be dependent on the level of work required.
- If the grant does not cover the full cost of the work, evidence of adequate finance to meet the shortfall will be required.
- The grant will be paid on completion of works when grant is under £10,000 and in two or more stages when in excess of £10,000, subject to agreement with the Council.
- Any property which is to be extended as part of the renovation process, will not be eligible for any grant aid.
Any enquiries relating to the scheme please contact:
Empty Homes Officer
Isle of Anglesey County Council
Tel: 01248 752301 or 07971 156155