Skip to main content

Cyngor Sir Ynys Môn - Isle of Anglesey County Council

Council Tax exemptions

An exemption means that you may not need to pay any Council Tax at all.

This is not the same as a discount. A discount means you may pay less Council Tax, but you will pay some.

A property might be exempt from Council Tax if it is:

  • requiring, undergoing major structural work in order to make it habitable . The property must also be unoccupied and substantially unfurnished (exempt for up to 12 months)
  • unoccupied and owned by a charity (exempt for up to six months)
  • unoccupied and substantially unfurnished (exempt for up to six months)
  • left unoccupied by person(s) detained in prison
  • left unoccupied by person(s) permanently in hospital, nursing or care home
  • unoccupied through death of resident(s) (exempt for up to 6 months after probate/letters of administration). NB this exemption only applies where the property has been vacant since the date of death.
  • occupation prohibited by law
  • unoccupied and held for a minister of religion
  • left unoccupied by person(s) receiving care in another place (other than a hospital, nursing or care home)
  • left unoccupied by person(s) residing and providing care elsewhere
  • Unoccupied and owned by a student and when it was last occupied it was the residence of that student and no-one else other than students lived there.
  • repossessed and unoccupied property​
  • halls of residence predominantly for student accommodation
  • occupied solely by student(s). This also includes a student's husband, wife or dependant who is not a British Citizen and is prevented from working or claiming benefit
  • owned by Secretary of State for Defence
  • occupied by members of visiting forces
  • unoccupied and held by trustee in bankruptcy
  • unoccupied caravan pitch or boat mooring
  • occupied solely by person(s) under 18
  • unoccupied annexe
  • occupied solely by person(s) who is (are) severely mentally impaired as declared by a medical practioner and who are in receipt of certain benefits.
  • properties occupied by certain diplomats
  • annex or self-contained part of property occupied by an elderly or disabled relative of the resident living in the rest of the property.
  • properties occupied solely by care leavers  ​

If a property is solely occupied by students, care leavers or severely mentally impaired persons, or any combination of these, an exemption may apply.

Please contact us for further information.