Skip to content

Cyngor Sir Ynys Môn - Isle of Anglesey County Council

Marriage and civil partnerships

Marriage and civil partnership

We are following the advice and guidance from Welsh Government on social distancing and public behaviour. This means the content and format of marriage and civil partnership ceremonies has been reviewed and we have introduced restrictions on the number of people permitted in our ceremony rooms at one time.

Physical distancing will help ensure that officers and visitors are safe and to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.

The maximum number of people permitted in each room is:

  • Register Office – 6 people
  • Ceremony Room – 14 people

These figures include two Registrars and the couple.

We will contact couples who have booked a ceremony on a month by month basis. Our priority is to resume ceremonies that are scheduled to take place at the Register Office in July and August before accepting new bookings from September onwards. All bookings will be subject to availability.

We currently conduct ceremonies at approved premises (i.e. hotels) following the social distancing guidelines. We appreciate this uncertainty makes planning difficult and we are very sorry for all couples who are affected by this situation.

Here are some useful questions and answers for couples:

From what date can marriages be solemnized, and civil partnerships formed?

In Wales marriages can be solemnized and civil partnerships formed from 22 June. In England this can take place from 4 July.

Where a person is shielding, can a marriage be solemnized, or a civil partnership formation take place remotely by video conferencing technology?

No, there is no provision within current legislation for a virtual marriage or civil partnership to take place.

Can couples who have already given notice proceed with their marriage / civil partnership if they wish to do so?

Yes, as long as the authorities are still valid and the venue remains the same.

What happens if a notice has been previously given for a venue that is now closed?

A fresh notice is required if the venue changes for a marriage or civil partnership.

The grounds of the register office are lovely – as there is less risk outside can the ceremony take place there instead?

No. A marriage or civil partnership must take place within the venue as detailed on the notice and authority, and as specified in the approval of the premises. The outside space is not included as part of the venue.

Why can’t witnesses use video technology to witness the ceremony?

There is still a requirement within legislation for 2 witnesses to attend to witness a marriage or civil partnership and then sign the register.


Registrations for births that occurred in Anglesey will resume from 1 July, 2020.
Provision has now been made for the registration of births to be undertaken by telephone in-part. This will help us to follow the Government’s guidance on social distancing and public behaviour. To complete the registration, a parent/parents must sign the register in person at the Register Office and we will discuss the arrangements for this when booking an appointment.

For registration of babies born in other counties, please contact the Register Office in the county where the birth occurred e.g.

• Ysbyty Gwynedd

To make an appointment for telephone registration please call the Register Office on 01248 751925 (6) or (7).

Parents can continue to make a claim for child benefit or universal credit prior to the birth being registered, where they have not been able to do so because of these measures.

Further information can be found on

Deaths and still-births

Provision has now been made for the registration of deaths to be undertaken by telephone. This will help the Registration Service follow the Government’s guidance on essential travel, social distancing and public behaviour. The Registration Service is also working closely with health practitioners to share information electronically to remove the requirement for bereaved families to visit the Register Officer during the current emergency situation.

To make an appointment for telephone registration please call the Register Office on 01248 751925 (6) or (7)


If you have decided to be married by civil ceremony on Anglesey you can be assured of an individual and special ceremony tailored to your own requirements.

Notices of marriage and civil partnerships

You will need to give formal notice to ensure that you are legally free to marry or form a civil partnership.

Your notices will usually be given at your local register office in the area where you live, but there are some exceptions, such as:

  • if you live outside Wales or England, please contact us for advice on where and when to give notice
  • if you are a foreign national, please contact us for advice on where and when to give notice 

You must give notice at least 28 days before the date of your ceremony and you must know where you are getting married.

This can increase to 70 days depending on your immigration status.

For this reason, we advise you give your notices at least 3 months before your ceremony.

The formal notice will be displayed on a public notice board in the area where you have given your notice. If you give notice in Anglesey it will be displayed at The Register Office, Llangefni. Anglesey registration district comes under ‘Ynys Môn’.

At the end of the notice period, the Registration Service will then prepare your schedule, the document that gives you legal authority to marry or enter into a civil partnership.

Church in Wales and Church of England

If you are marrying in the Church of England or Church in Wales by Banns or Common Licence, you should contact your vicar regarding any necessary legal preliminaries.

Chapel, civil ceremonies and other churches

If you are marrying in any other sort of church or chapel or by civil ceremony in a Register Office or approved venue, notice of marriage has to be given personally to your local Superintendent Registrar.

Civil partnerships

Any couple that registers a civil partnership has the same rights as a married couple in areas like tax, social security, inheritance and workplace benefits.

Getting registered in Wales and England?

  • Get advice and information from Direct Gov.
  • Decide where you want to register. For instance, at a register office or an approved venue like a hotel.
  • Fix the date, but check that a registrar can attend if you have chosen an approved venue.
  • Arrange to give notice of your intention to register to the registration authority where each of you live.
  • You each have to give notice at least 28 clear days before the date for registering.
  • Get registered. Sign the legal document in front of the registrar and your two witnesses.


When you go to the Register Office you will be asked to produce certain documents, depending on your personal circumstances. These documents should be original documents not photocopies, and may include:

  • valid passport
  • birth certificate
  • driving licence
  • evidence of home address (such as a utility bill/bank statement within the last 3 months, or Council Tax bill within the current year)
  • evidence of any change of name (such as Deed Poll/Statutory Declaration)
  • decree absolute of divorce
  • death certificate of late wife or husband
  • prior to 1983 a person born in the UK obtained British Citizenship automatically. For a person born after 1st January 1983 the nationality is dependent on the nationality  of the parents.
  • if you have not yet had your eighteenth birthday - the written consent of your parent(s) and/or guardian(s) or any organisation with parental responsibility

A fee will be payable for each notice. For current information, please contact our office.

Register of approved premises licenced for the conducting of Civil Ceremonies on the Isle of Anglesey
VenueLicence expiry dateLicence holderContact detailsOccupancy in rooms
Valley Hotel,
LL65 3DU
3 May 2025 Manager 01407 740203

Conservatory 120 people

Penrhos 50 people

Tros yr Afon,
LL58 8RN
20 May 2025 James Grant

07706 751045

Drawing room 60 people

Ystafell Bryn Cefni,
Business Park,
LL77 7XA

14 October 2025 Isle of Anglesey County Council

01248 751927

42 people
Trearddur Bay Hotel 12 April 2024 The manager
(Lees Breweries)

01407 860301

Cledwyn 30 people
Penrhos 50 people
Dwynwen 160 people
Pennant 120 people

Henblas Country Park,
LL62 5DL

16 February 2026 Heather Barrett

01407 842134

Main ceremony room 160 people
Breakfast room 60 people

Carreg Bran Hotel,
LL61 4NY

16 June 2024 Shaun and Deboarah Armitage

01248 714224

Chateau Rhainfa,
Glyn Garth,
Menai Bridge
24 March 2024

Rhianfa Ltd.
Delyth Roberts

01248 713655

Banqueting Hall 80 people
Boudoir music room 30 people
Drawing room 40 people
Dining room 40 people
Great Hall 40 people

LL65 4NY

 5 July 2024 Tom Carpenter

01407 730208

Boathouse 15 people
Pontoon 45 people
Stable ground floor 60 people
Stable gallery 30 people
Town Hall, Holyhead 13 September 2025
Renewal in progress
Town clerk

Main hall 230 people
Chamber 36 people

View the Isle of Anglesey Celebration Guide