Skip to content

Cyngor Sir Ynys Môn - Isle of Anglesey County Council

Noise control

Noise pollution comes in many forms - from a neighbour’s loud music, fireworks or barking dog, to noise from traffic or a factory.

In response to advances within technology utilised within both Smart or Android phones and iPhones, the Environmental Health Department now has the facility to operate a Noise App once a complaint has first been formally registered with this department.

The Noise App enables noise complaints to be received by this Local Authority at any time of the day or night with the facility to send brief noise or sound recordings direct to investigating officers.

To register your noise complaint and begin this process then please use our secure, accessible General enquiry form and choose Environmental health.

You must however include your name and address, a telephone number and the address at which the noise is occurring from along with a description of the type of noise that you are complaining about. Please be advised that anonymous complaints are not investigated by this Local Authority.

Once the form has been filled, then please visit the Noise App website for further details.

Further guidance on how to use The Noise App can be found below.

General enquiry form - the link opens a new tab.

Open the form using a supported web browser such as Safari, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge or Firefox.

In the absence of consent under Schedule 2 to the Noise and Statutory Nuisance Act 1993, the use of a loudspeaker during the hours of 9pm and 8am will amount to an offence contrary to section 62 of the Control of Pollution Act 1974.

If you want to use loudspeakers in the street between 9pm and 8am (for instance, for a musical event) you must apply to our loudspeaker consent scheme first.

Under Section 79 (6) of the Environmental Protection Act 1990, the local authority has no jurisdiction over noise from aircraft (other than model aircraft).

Further information regarding noise from RAF Valley and RAF Mona can be obtained from GOV.UK

The Planning consent for Anglesey Race Circuit requires the operator to implement a Noise Control and Management System which includes undertaking trackside noise monitoring at a designated location.

Every Planned event must be assigned a category of use and is entered into a noise diary. After each event has taken place, the noise diary is updated with the actual noise recorded by the circuit operator. A copy of the noise diary can be found on the Anglesey Circuit website.

The Circuit Operators are limited to the following number of events each year:

  • Contingency = 6 days
  • Category 1 days = 50 days
  • Category 2 days = 100 days
  • Category 3 days = Unrestricted

The use of the circuit by motor vehicles on Contingency Days, Category 1 and Category 2 Days is limited to 3 days in any “rolling” week, apart from on 1 of a maximum 4 days in a year where the circuit has given the local authority 21 days prior notice of such a day’s use.

There are also other restrictions applying to operating times and further advice may be obtained by contacting the Environmental Health Section.

The noise condition relates to 1, 3 5 and 7 Porth Cwyfan, but the circuit are allowed to use a surrogate monitoring location at trackside with trackside noise levels set which equate to noise condition at Porth Cwyfan. 

Benefits of this are that the noise levels at circuit are subject to less interference from other sources and from the effects of the wind. 

The following tables show the trackside noise limits.

1 Hour LAeq Levels

Category Days in use House Trackside





Category 1     




Category 2 




Category 3




Each year the Environmental Health Section get a number of complaints about intruder alarms sounding which give rise to noise nuisance and loss of sleep if they are activated during the night.

The majority of complaints relate to false alarm soundings caused by faults or pets.

The Environmental Protection Act 1990 places a duty on councils to deal with any noise which it is satisfied is giving rise to a statutory nuisance. Intruder alarms which are found to be persistently or repeatedly sounding and giving rise to a statutory noise nuisance can therefore be dealt with under enforcement procedures available to the council.

These procedures will involve the council serving an ‘abatement notice’ and making arrangements with the local magistrate for a warrant to enter the premises where the alarm is sounding. The council will require the services of a lock smith and alarm service engineer in order to assist in silencing the alarm to prevent it causing further noise nuisance to neighbouring residents.

Any costs incurred by the council for silencing alarms in this way will be recharged to the occupier of the premises.

By following the steps below you can prevent your intruder alarm causing noise problems in your neighbourhood and incurring unnecessary costs.

  • ensure your alarm is installed by a qualified alarm engineer
  • look after your alarm - make sure it is maintained
  • make sure your  alarm has a cut out device (20 minutes) to prevent it ringing for long periods
  • register your alarm with this authority using an Alarm Registration Form available to download and print below.

By registering your alarm with the council, if the alarm should develop a fault or be falsely triggered, the council will be able to contact your registered key holders for them to switch off the alarm if you are away, without costs or inconvenience to you.

It is an offence to let off fireworks during night hours (11pm to 7am), except on Bonfire Night (midnight), Diwali, New Year, and Chinese New Year (1am).

Further advice can be obtained by following the link to the GOV.UK site

If you need a more accessible version, please email so that we can help you.