Skip to content

Cyngor Sir Ynys Môn - Isle of Anglesey County Council


Most household waste can be recycled through the council’s waste collection service.

Bonfires are sometimes the best way to dispose of dry garden waste or other rubbish that cannot be composted.  Bonfires are also traditionally used to mark traditional celebrations such as Guy Fawkes on 5 November.

Neighbours can easily be annoyed if the smoke from a bonfire stops them enjoying their gardens, hanging out their washing or opening windows and there is often the misconception of when and where a garden bonfire can be lit.

The law

There are no byelaws in place which prohibits garden bonfires or specifying the time of day, or day of the week that a bonfire can be lit. This does not mean that you can have a bonfire whenever you like. There are laws that protect people from being affected by the smoke that is caused by bonfires.

If a bonfire is being lit regularly, which causes a lot of smoke and ash, or the material being burnt is hazardous to health, then action could be taken under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 as a statutory nuisance. 

If a bonfire is only lit occasionally then it should not cause a problem.

Dark smoke from commercial premises

Industrial or trade waste should be removed to a properly licensed waste disposal site.  Under the Clean Air Act 1993 it is an offence to cause dark smoke to be emitted from any industrial or trade premises. 

See our webpage about dark smoke for further information.

If you are being bothered by smoke

If smoke is a persistent problem and although you might feel awkward, you should first approach your neighbour and explain the problem and how it affects you. They may not be aware that they are causing a nuisance. 

Remember that bonfires can be fire hazards as fire can spread to buildings, fences, trees and plants. Sealed cans or bottles may explode. If you have any concerns please contact the North Wales Fire and Rescue service on 101 or see the link to their website.

If you are unable to resolve issues with neighbours, persistent problems can be reported to the Environmental Health Section by completing the online report form.