The Sustainable Development Fund (SDF) was established in Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) in 2001.
Its central aim is to support environmental, economic and social projects of a sustainable nature within the AONB. The fund is financed by the Welsh Assembly Government and is administered locally by the Anglesey AONB team.
For further details please see the information leaflets below.
The Sustainable Development Fund (SDF) provides an exceptional opportunity to apply for grant aid for innovative, sustainable, environmental projects, which involve local communities in Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONBs). AONBs are nationally important landscapes, designated for their spectacular scenic beauty.
- community, voluntary and partnership Groups
- community councils
- local authorities
- the private sector (for projects which are in the wider public interest)
- Individuals (for projects which are in the wider public interest)
Projects which meet the aims of the scheme and AONBs, which are:
- to conserve and enhance the natural beauty of the AONB, including the built environment
- to promote sustainable forms of social and economic development that will help conserve and enhance the AONBs
- to promote the economic and social well-being of local communities
- to promote quiet enjoyment of the AONBs
- the scheme will provide projects grants; management grants to support staff costs and development grants to provide a catalyst for new action or partnerships
- up to 75% will be available for eligible projects
- applicants will be expected to provide at least 25% of the total project costs, either from their own funds or those of others (such as other grant funds, ‘in kind’ contributions, European Funds like Objective 1 or Lottery) payments will normally be paid retrospectively