Skip to content

Cyngor Sir Ynys Môn - Isle of Anglesey County Council

Registering a death

Marriage and civil partnership

We are following the advice and guidance from Welsh Government on social distancing and public behaviour. This means the content and format of marriage and civil partnership ceremonies has been reviewed and we have introduced restrictions on the number of people permitted in our ceremony rooms at one time.

Physical distancing will help ensure that officers and visitors are safe and to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.

The maximum number of people permitted in each room is:

  • Register Office – 6 people
  • Ceremony Room – 14 people

These figures include two Registrars and the couple.

We will contact couples who have booked a ceremony on a month by month basis. Our priority is to resume ceremonies that are scheduled to take place at the Register Office in July and August before accepting new bookings from September onwards. All bookings will be subject to availability.

We currently conduct ceremonies at approved premises (i.e. hotels) following the social distancing guidelines. We appreciate this uncertainty makes planning difficult and we are very sorry for all couples who are affected by this situation.

Here are some useful questions and answers for couples:

From what date can marriages be solemnized, and civil partnerships formed?

In Wales marriages can be solemnized and civil partnerships formed from 22 June. In England this can take place from 4 July.

Where a person is shielding, can a marriage be solemnized, or a civil partnership formation take place remotely by video conferencing technology?

No, there is no provision within current legislation for a virtual marriage or civil partnership to take place.

Can couples who have already given notice proceed with their marriage / civil partnership if they wish to do so?

Yes, as long as the authorities are still valid and the venue remains the same.

What happens if a notice has been previously given for a venue that is now closed?

A fresh notice is required if the venue changes for a marriage or civil partnership.

The grounds of the register office are lovely – as there is less risk outside can the ceremony take place there instead?

No. A marriage or civil partnership must take place within the venue as detailed on the notice and authority, and as specified in the approval of the premises. The outside space is not included as part of the venue.

Why can’t witnesses use video technology to witness the ceremony?

There is still a requirement within legislation for 2 witnesses to attend to witness a marriage or civil partnership and then sign the register.


Registrations for births that occurred in Anglesey will resume from 1 July, 2020.
Provision has now been made for the registration of births to be undertaken by telephone in-part. This will help us to follow the Government’s guidance on social distancing and public behaviour. To complete the registration, a parent/parents must sign the register in person at the Register Office and we will discuss the arrangements for this when booking an appointment.

For registration of babies born in other counties, please contact the Register Office in the county where the birth occurred e.g.

• Ysbyty Gwynedd

To make an appointment for telephone registration please call the Register Office on 01248 751925 (6) or (7).

Parents can continue to make a claim for child benefit or universal credit prior to the birth being registered, where they have not been able to do so because of these measures.

Further information can be found on

Deaths and still-births

Provision has now been made for the registration of deaths to be undertaken by telephone. This will help the Registration Service follow the Government’s guidance on essential travel, social distancing and public behaviour. The Registration Service is also working closely with health practitioners to share information electronically to remove the requirement for bereaved families to visit the Register Officer during the current emergency situation.

To make an appointment for telephone registration please call the Register Office on 01248 751925 (6) or (7)


The law requires a death to be registered within 5 calendar days.

This includes weekends and bank holidays and applies to all deaths with no coroner involvement.

To make an appointment to register a death that happened in Anglesey:

Telephone: 01248 751925


Visit GOV.UK for a step by step guide on what to do when someone dies.

The following can register the death.

In order of preference:

  • a relative of the deceased, present at the death
  • a relative of the deceased, in attendance during the last illness
  • a relative of the deceased, living or being in the area where the death occurred

If there is no known relative who is able to register:

  • a person present at the death
  • the occupier of the house or institution where the death took place
  • any inmate of the house if they knew of the occurrence of the death
  • the person who is arranging the funeral (this does not mean the funeral director)

Addition information needed to register the death about the informant:

  • informant’s forename(s) and surname
  • their current address
  • informant’s relationship to the deceased

The death must be registered by the registrar for the area where the person died. For this area you must register in Llangefni or Holyhead.

If you have difficulty in attending the Register Office for the area where the death occurred, you can go to a registrar in a more convenient place in England or Wales. They will note the necessary information needed for the death registration and send it to the correct register office. The registrar will not be able to give you the certificate for the funeral director nor any other certificates. These will be posted to you a few days later by the register office in the area where the person died. This unfortunately may cause a delay in organizing the funeral.

Before deciding to go to register office outside the area where the death took place it would be sensible to inform the following people:

  • the funeral director
  • the registrar for the area in which the death took place
  • limited arrangements are available for the emergency issue of burial certificates, please contact the registration office

In order to register the death, you must have:

  • the medical certificate of cause of death issued by the doctor who was treating the deceased. You must bring this within five days of receiving the certificate
  • birth certificate
  • marriage / civil partnership certificates
  • NHS number / medical card

If a death is reported to the coroner which does not need to be the subject of an inquest, (when death is a result of natural disease or illness) a certificate giving the cause of death will be sent to the registrar on completion of the coroner’s enquiries.

You can then go ahead and register the death.

In a small number of cases – where the cause of death is unclear, sudden or suspicious – the doctor or hospital or registrar will report the death to the coroner. In this case registration of the death will be delayed as an inquest may be held.

It is the duty of the coroner to investigate deaths that are reported to them and which:

  • appear to be to violence or neglect
  • are unnatural
  • are of sudden and of unknown cause
  • occur in legal custody

The coroner will preserve confidentiality as far as possible but you should remember that the system is based on public court hearings. If you request it, the coroner will explain the reasons for the procedures adopted in particular cases as long as the coroner is satisfied that the person has a proper interest and a right to know.

An inquest is not a trial. It is an enquiry to establish who the deceased was and how, when and where they died. After the death the coroner will issue an interim certificate to enable the estate to be dealt with.

On conclusion of the inquest, the next of kin will be provided with an explanation about how, where and when a copy of the death certificate can be obtained.

About the deceased

  • full name and surname of the deceased or the Maiden name in the case of an unmarried woman or widow
  • the date and place of death 
  • date and place of birth of the deceased
  • occupation of the deceased and in the case of a woman who is married or widowed, the full name and occupation of her husband
  • the usual address of the deceased
  • if the deceased was still married, the date of birth of their spouse
  • whether the deceased was in receipt of a pension or benefits from public funds
  • in the case of a child, the father and mother’s full names and occupations and the child’s full address

The Registrar will issue you with a green form (called a 9W) to give to the Funeral Director (in some cases this will have been issued by the coroner) which gives permission for burial or cremation.

You will also be given a white form (called a BD8), this is for pension and social security purposes only. You will need to complete and send this form either to the Swansea Pensions Centre or you local Job Centre, Job Centre plus or social security office. The registrar will advise where the form should be sent and provide a business return envelope for your use. Both forms a free of charge.

You will also be able to purchase for a fee, a standard death certificate. These are certified copies of the entry in the Register, which you will need to deal with the estate of the deceased. There are purposes for which a certificate may be required. These can be paid for by debit or credit card.

Tell Us Once is a service that lets you report a death to most government organisations in one go.