Skip to content

Cyngor Sir Ynys Môn - Isle of Anglesey County Council

Penhesgyn Household Waste Recycling Centre

No need to book at Penhesgyn

You do not need to book a slot to use the Penhesgyn Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC).

You must book your visit if you want to use Gwalchmai Household Waste Recycling Centre.

Strict conditions 

All vehicles must be no longer than 5 metres and no higher than 2.1 metres, including any attachments.

Proof of residency

When you visit Penhesgyn Household Waste Recycling Centre you must show proof of residency on the Isle of Anglesey, such as a:

  • Council Tax bill (current financial year)
  • driving licence
  • utility bill (no older than 3 months)

With your car stationary, please hold your proof of residency up to your windscreen/closed window to allow a council staff member to see it through the glass.

If you do not show proof of residency, you may not be allowed into the site.

Opening times for Penhesgyn recycling centre


Opening time

Closing time




















The Penhesgyn HWRC is located just off the B5420, which is the Penmynydd Road that runs from Llangefni to Menai Bridge. From Menai Bridge, drive past Pili Palas for half a mile and turn right for the recycling centre.

The post code is LL59 5RY

You can recycle all kinds of household waste such as:

  • garden waste
  • clothing and textiles
  • plastic bottles
  • paint
  • printer ink cartridges
  • wood and timber
  • mixed glass bottles and jars
  • cartons
  • household and garden chemicals (clearly labelled)
  • batteries
  • paper and cardboard
  • fridges and freezers, small/large appliances, TVs and monitors
  • food tins and drink cans, scrap metal
  • furniture
  • non-recyclable household waste

You can take limited amounts of:

  • soil
  • rubble
  • DIY waste
  • car batteries
  • tyres
  • asbestos (small quantities bagged and sealed can be accepted)
  • gas bottles
  • engine oil

The recycling centres do not accept:

  • poisonous weeds, for example, Japanese knotweed and large tree stumps
  • explosive materials
  • highly flammable liquids, for example, petrol
  • large quantities of construction, renovation or DIY waste

Trade waste

Trade waste is not accepted at the recycling centres. We are not licensed to take trade waste of any kind. Traders break the law if they dispose of waste at these sites.

Anyone bringing household waste to these sites in a commercial type vehicle may be asked to declare it as household waste. You should be prepared to have the waste inspected to ensure it is not trade waste.

Contact the Waste Management Section if you need more information by telephoning 01248 750 057.

You will need a permit to visit a HWRC site with a:

  • pickup
  • small van
  • short wheel base transit van
  • small mini bus or a private car with a medium sized trailer between 1.8m and 3m bed length
  • car with sign writing

All vehicles must be no longer than 5m or no higher than 2.1m, including any attachments.

If you require further information, please see the Reycling Permit Scheme.

The council anticipates high numbers of vehicles at peak times with undefined waiting times, therefore queues are expected – please be patient and wait for the instruction to enter the site.

Please adhere to the traffic management system and signage instructions.

The following conditions will apply for all small domestic type trailers:

The trailer cannot be longer than 1.8m in bed length.

The vehicle pulling the trailer must be a standard type domestic car only.

If the vehicle pulling the small domestic type trailer is a commercial type vehicle under the council’s formal definition, then you will not be granted access to the site.

If you require further information, please see the Reycling Permit Scheme.

Slots are available for Anglesey residents to collect the soil improver from Penhesgyn Recycling Centre every Wednesday and Thursday.

Please call 01248 713313 to book your slot.