Skip to content

Cyngor Sir Ynys Môn - Isle of Anglesey County Council

Permit scheme: Household waste recycling centres (HWRC)

Anglesey residents do not need to pre-book a slot to use the Penhesgyn Household Waste Recycling Centre.

Any visit to Gwalchmai Household Waste Recycling Centre must be pre-booked.

Conditions apply that may affect permit holders.

Vehicles that need a permit

You will need a permit to visit a HWRC site with a:

  • pickup
  • small van
  • short wheel base transit van
  • small mini bus or a private car with a medium sized trailer between 1.8m and 3m bed length
  • car with sign writing

All vehicles must be no longer than 5m or no higher than 2.1m, including any attachments.

Please check with the Waste Management Team on (01248) 750 057 if you are unsure.

Vehicles that do not need a permit

You do not need a permit to visit a centre with a:

  • private car
  • estate car
  • people carrier
  • 4×4 without a goods body

All vehicles must be no longer than 5m or no higher than 2.1m including any attachments.

Application form

Please complete the application form and return to the council offices at Llangefni or by email to

If you need a more accessible version, please email so that we can help you.

You cannot get a permit and you are not allowed access to the centres with any vehicle longer than 5m or over 2.1m high, including any attachments.

You cannot visit the sites with:

  • Luton box vans
  • long wheel base transit vans
  • flat bed and tipper trucks
  • tractors
  • any agricultural vehicles
  • horsebox vehicles
  • any trailer longer than 3m bed length

The sites cannot accept trade waste.

Depositing trade waste at the HWRC sites is a criminal offence under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and could result in a £50,000 fine and/or two years imprisonment.

Hire a skip if you are carrying out larger scale renovation or construction work. A number of local and national companies offer waste management services or for further advice contact Natural Resources Wales (telephone 0300 065 3000).

  • Download the application on this page or pick one up from the council’s reception area at Cyswllt Môn, Council Offices, Llangefni, LL77 7TW.
  • Agree to our terms and conditions and bring your completed application form in to Cyswllt Môn, Llangefni.
  • We also need to see your vehicle registration document (V5) and a matching proof of address on Anglesey, such as a recent utility bill or a Council Tax demand.

If you are applying for a trailer permit, the (V5) document should be for the car you use for towing.

Successful applicants will receive 12 permits for 12 visits per year maximum.

You can choose when to use the permits. However, you will not be able to apply for more unless you have used all of your 12 permits and the 12 month period has come to an end.

When you arrive at the recycling centre a member of staff will ask for one of your permits and will confirm that the vehicle details match those on the permit. They will keep the permit.

Each visit to the centre is counted separately. It is strictly one permit, one visit.

The permits are only valid for the two HWRCs on Anglesey (Gwalchmai and Penhesgyn).

Make sure you complete the application form in full to prevent delay.

Send us your application form before 12pm on a working day and your permits will be sent out by second class post on the same day.

If your application form arrives after 12pm on a working day, your permits will be sent out second class post the following working day.

You will not be able to gain access to the HWRCs without a valid permit.

Vehicles no longer than 5m and no higher than 2.1m (including any attachments) with one or more of the following features will be classed as a commercial type vehicle:

  • no rear seats
  • no rear and/or side windows
  • open back separate to the cabin (pickups)
  • any vehicle with external sign writing

You will have to wait until the 12 months have finished before applying for more permits.

The permits allow you to access any of the two HWRCs on twelve occasions in any 12 month period.

When you use up your 12 permits you will not be able to access either centre in your van or with your trailer for 12 months.

Access to a HWRC will be granted if you have hired a van or a commercial type vehicle for three days or less (must be no longer than 5m and no higher than 2.1 m, including any attachments).

Present your hire document to a member staff at the site and this will act as your temporary permit.

You will not be able to use a centre without a valid permit.

All vehicles entering HWRCs will be checked to ensure they comply with site rules.

Vehicles and trailers will be routinely measured on arrival to ensure compliance and automatic number plate recognition cameras are in use.

Height barriers are set at 2.1m at both HWRCs on Anglesey (Gwalchmai and Penhesgyn).

All non-conforming vehicles and trailers will be turned away without being able to access the sites.