Only pre-booked visits will be allowed to enter the site.
There are two ways to book your visit to Gwalchmai Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC):
- online - please see below for details
- telephone the Waste Management Team on (01248) 752860 (this option is not available on weekends and bank holidays)
All vehicles must be no longer than 5 metres and no higher than 2.1 metres, including any attachments.
In order to ensure the health and safety of both the public and staff at all times during visits to Gwalchmai, we have introduced the following strict conditions.
You can recycle all kinds of household waste such as:
- garden waste
- clothing and textiles
- plastic bottles
- printer ink cartridges
- wood and timber
- mixed glass bottles and jars
- household and garden chemicals (clearly labelled)
- paper and cardboard
- fridges and freezers, small/large appliances, TVs and monitors
- food tins and drink cans, scrap metal
- non-recyclable household waste
It is acceptable to take limited amounts of:
- soil, rubble, DIY waste
- car batteries
- asbestos (small quantities bagged and sealed can be accepted)
- gas bottles
- engine oil
The recycling centres do not accept:
- poisonous weeds, for example, Japanese knotweed and large tree stumps
- explosive materials
- highly flammable liquids, for example, petrol
- large quantities of construction, renovation or DIY waste
Trade waste is not accepted at the recycling centres. We are not licensed to take trade waste of any kind. Traders break the law if they dispose of waste at these sites.
Anyone bringing household waste to these sites in a commercial type vehicle may be asked to declare it as household waste. You should be prepared to have the waste inspected to ensure it is not trade waste.
Contact the Waste Management Section if you need more information by telephoning 01248 752 860.
Do not visit if you or anyone in your household is self-isolating, has symptoms of Covid-19 or is currently shielding.
- you must only visit if you cannot safely store your waste/recycling at home. Only go if it is essential
- we are now in a position to allow all types of vehicles/trailers to enter the site i.e. permit and non-permit type
- all vehicles must be no longer than 5 metres and no higher than 2.1 metres, including any attachments
- if you believe that your vehicle/trailer requires a permit please contact the Isle of Anglesey’s Waste Management Team on 01248 752860 or read our web page
- we are now allowing an additional person to visit the site with the driver of the car (2 per car) to unload items when on site. Please note, if there are more than 2 people in the car e.g. families with young children, you will be allowed to visit the site but only 2 people are permitted to exit the vehicle. Failure to comply could lead to you being asked to leave the premises
The following conditions will apply for all small domestic type trailers:
- the trailer cannot be longer than 1.8m in bed length
- the vehicle pulling the trailer must be a standard type domestic car only. If the vehicle pulling the small domestic type trailer is a commercial type vehicle under the Council’s formal definition, then you will not be granted access to the site
- if you are bringing heavy items and unable to dispose of the items yourself, please try and bring someone with you to assist. Help will not be provided by site staff due to Covid 19 restrictions
If you require further information, please see the Reycling Permit Scheme.
- there are likely to be queues at the recycling centre due to limits on the number of people allowed inside at any one time and additional checks
- you will not be admitted on site without a valid booking reference or if you fail to meet any of the other access criteria noted above
- please adhere to the traffic management system and signage instructions
- it is essential that you remember to observe social distancing and any other safety messaging in place
- our staff will not be able to help you with any manual handling (only bring items you can lift and manoeuvre safely yourself)
- please be patient and respect the staff working at the centre at all times
Householders will not be allowed on-site to deposit their waste if they fail to adhere to the conditions of use in place.
Booking your visit online
The booking form is currently open for slots 7 days in advance.
Book your visit to Gwalchmai HWRC
Questions you may have
It is very important that we protect staff and visitors at the HWRCs.
We are using this appointment system to ensure we are able to manage a safe number of vehicles/householders each day and maintain social distancing requirements.
The limited number of appointments available each day will help keep everyone safe, reduce congestion and minimise queues.
To book a slot you must create an account on the Isle of Anglesey County Council’s website and complete a booking application.
The number of slots are very limited and therefore your application may unfortunately be unsuccessful. Please read the terms and conditions very carefully as non-compliance will mean you will not be able to enter the site.
We allow one application for each household per day, to try and make sure that as many householders as possible have the opportunity to dispose of their excess waste.
Yes – we will check your registration number against the booking.
If you miss your appointment, unfortunately you will have to reapply for a booking slot for another day.
The centre is located on the A5, just outside of Gwalchmai on the Holyhead side of the village. It is accessible from the A55 (Junction 5).
The post code is LL65 4PW
Please arrive as close to your time slot as possible, to avoid queues.
Stay in your car with your windows up until staff direct you to drive into the centre.
You will then have a maximum of 10 minutes to empty your car of your recycling/waste items. Please make sure you finish unloading your recycling/waste within this time.
Please only bring items you can carry yourself as no assistance will be given.
We strongly recommend you sort your waste before you come, to make sure you can unload within your 10 minute slot.
Please keep at least 2m (6 feet) away from all other users of the site.
If you do not respect social distancing or are abusive to staff at the site, you will be asked to leave and the Police may be called.
To keep you and the staff on site safe, we will be keeping to social distancing rules. This means staff will not be able to help you unload.
Yes, please do this before arriving at the site.
If your household is currently self-isolating because someone has viral symptoms, you must not come to the site.
If you have just finished self-isolating, please make sure that household waste has been double-bagged and left for at least 72 hours before you bring it to the site.
Bulky collections can be booked in the usual way by contacting the Council’s Waste Management Section via 01248 750057 (Option 7).
Please note, this will come at a cost to the householder.