Only pre-booked visits will be allowed to enter the site.
There are two ways to book your visit to Gwalchmai Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC):
- online - please see below for details
- telephone the Waste Management Team on (01248) 750 057 (this option is not available on weekends and bank holidays)
All vehicles must be no longer than 5 metres and no higher than 2.1 metres, including any attachments.
In order to ensure the health and safety of both the public and staff at all times during visits to Gwalchmai, we have introduced the following strict conditions.
You can recycle all kinds of household waste such as:
- garden waste
- clothing and textiles
- plastic bottles
- printer ink cartridges
- wood and timber
- mixed glass bottles and jars
- household and garden chemicals (clearly labelled)
- paper and cardboard
- fridges and freezers, small/large appliances, TVs and monitors
- food tins and drink cans, scrap metal
- non-recyclable household waste
It is acceptable to take limited amounts of:
- soil, rubble, DIY waste
- car batteries
- asbestos (small quantities bagged and sealed can be accepted)
- gas bottles
- engine oil
The recycling centres do not accept:
- poisonous weeds, for example, Japanese knotweed and large tree stumps
- explosive materials
- highly flammable liquids, for example, petrol
- large quantities of construction, renovation or DIY waste
Trade waste is not accepted at the recycling centres. We are not licensed to take trade waste of any kind. Traders break the law if they dispose of waste at these sites.
Anyone bringing household waste to these sites in a commercial type vehicle may be asked to declare it as household waste. You should be prepared to have the waste inspected to ensure it is not trade waste.
Contact the Waste Management Section if you need more information by telephoning (01248) 750 057.
Do not visit if you or anyone in your household is self-isolating, has symptoms of Covid-19 or is currently shielding.
- you must only visit if you cannot safely store your waste/recycling at home. Only go if it is essential
- we are now in a position to allow all types of vehicles/trailers to enter the site i.e. permit and non-permit type
- all vehicles must be no longer than 5 metres and no higher than 2.1 metres, including any attachments
- if you believe that your vehicle/trailer requires a permit please contact the Isle of Anglesey’s Waste Management Team on (01248) 750 057 or read our web page
You will need a permit to visit a HWRC site with a:
- small van
- short wheel base transit van
- small mini bus or a private car with a medium sized trailer between 1.8m and 3m bed length
- car with sign writing
All vehicles must be no longer than 5m or no higher than 2.1m, including any attachments.
If you require further information, please see the Reycling Permit Scheme.
The following conditions will apply for all small domestic type trailers:
- the trailer cannot be longer than 1.8m in bed length
- the vehicle pulling the trailer must be a standard type domestic car only. If the vehicle pulling the small domestic type trailer is a commercial type vehicle under the Council’s formal definition, then you will not be granted access to the site
If you require further information, please see the Recycling Permit Scheme.
- there are likely to be queues at the recycling centre due to limits on the number of people allowed inside at any one time and additional checks
- you will not be admitted on site without a valid booking reference or if you fail to meet any of the other access criteria noted above
- please adhere to the traffic management system and signage instructions
- please be patient and respect the staff working at the centre at all times
Householders will not be allowed on-site to deposit their waste if they fail to adhere to the conditions of use in place.
Booking your visit online
The booking form is currently open for slots 7 days in advance.
Questions you may have
The recycling centre at Gwalchmai is very close to the to the A5 road.
The booking system is needed to control the flow of traffic to the centre. It keeps everyone safe, reduces congestion and minimises queues.
We allow one application for each household per day, to try and make sure that as many householders as possible have the opportunity to dispose of their excess waste.
Yes, we will check your registration number against the booking.
If you miss your appointment, unfortunately you will have to reapply for a booking slot for another day.
The centre is located on the A5, just outside of Gwalchmai on the Holyhead side of the village. It is accessible from the A55 (Junction 5).
The post code is LL65 4PW
Please arrive as close to your time slot as possible, to avoid queues.
You will then have a maximum of 10 minutes to empty your car of your recycling/waste items. Please make sure you finish unloading your recycling/waste within this time.
We strongly recommend you sort your waste before you come, to make sure you can unload within your 10 minute slot.
Yes, please do this before arriving at the site.
If your household is currently self-isolating because someone has viral symptoms, you must not come to the site.
If you have just finished self-isolating, please make sure that household waste has been double-bagged and left for at least 72 hours before you bring it to the site.
Bulky collections can be booked in the usual way by contacting the council’s Waste Management Section via 01248 750 057 (Option 7).
Please note, this will come at a cost to the householder.