Skip to content

Cyngor Sir Ynys Môn - Isle of Anglesey County Council

Housing benefit - overpayments

How to pay Housing benefit overpayments

If your circumstances change then your Housing Benefit may change too. This change may result in you receiving benefit to which you are not entitled. This amount is an Overpayment.

The amount of benefit you get to help you pay your rent depends on what you tell us when you make your claim.

It is your responsibility to tell us about any change in your circumstances.

Overpayments usually occur when you do not inform us of changes in your circumstances. You must tell us immediately, in writing, of any changes that may affect your benefit.

If you have been notified of an overpayment or you have received a reminder, you must make arrangements to pay immediately.

How to pay


This service can also be used to pay a number of other Council bills, using Visa or Mastercard credit and debit cards.

Pay Online

Your payment will take up to 3 working days to reach the account you are making a payment. (This includes time to check the details of your credit / debit card with the credit / debit card company and the council has been advised of the charge).

This service can also be used to pay a number of other Council bills, in addition to your Invoice, using one of the above payment cards.

By post

By cheque or postal order made payable to “Isle of Anglesey County Council” and addressed to the Revenues and Benefits section. Please do not send cash as the council cannot take responsibility should it go missing in the post.

Customer Contact Centre

By calling 01248 750057 between 9am and 5pm. Please ensure you have your debit / credit card to hand.

By Telephone

You can connect to the service and pay your overpayment by phoning 0300 123 0800 on any touch-tone phone and you will be instructed on how to pay. Please remember to have your credit or debit card ready, along with the reference number of your account or invoice. The service will be available 24-hour, 7-days a week. The 0300 number is charged at National Rate to all callers regardless of whether you are calling from a landline or a mobile.

If you have any queries please call or write, quoting the reference from the email you receive or your screen print-out. If you think you have overpaid, or if a service for which you have paid is no longer required, please also call 01248 750057 or fill in our our online enquiry form who will pass your query on to the appropriate officer.