Skip to content

Cyngor Sir Ynys Môn - Isle of Anglesey County Council

Housing Benefit and Council Tax reduction online application

In the current situation please can all letters/documentation in relation to Housing Benefit/Council Tax Reduction claims be emailed to 

If you do not have access to email then you can continue to send these in to the Council Offices, but please be aware that there could be a delay in processing the post and returning any necessary documentation to you. 

If we need further information from you we will contact you and this will be by either email or phone.

This form is a combined claim form for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction. Please note that if you are only claiming Council Tax Reduction that this is still the relevant form to complete and the questions asked will only be relevant to that reduction.

Please note that if you are claiming Universal Credit that there is a separate need for you to claim Council Tax Reduction and that you can use the link below to do this.

Apply now

You can make an online claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction using our online form.

This form should only be used by Anglesey residents.

New applications

Follow the link below and then go to 'Start New Form' for a new application.

Ongoing applications

If you have an ongoing application that is incomplete, and you know the form reference for that application, then enter that reference number in the form reference box under the heading "Continue previously saved form" and follow the link "Continue".

Make a housing benefit or council tax reduction claim

Anglesey residents, council tenants, private tenants and owner occupiers

If you live outside the Isle of Anglesey, unless you have been housed here by the Isle of Anglesey County Council, please contact your local council to apply for housing benefit or council tax reduction. 

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is a benefit to help you pay your rent.

Due to the introduction of Universal Credit you can now only apply for Housing Benefits if you live in supported housing, receive Severe Disability Premium with your benefits or are classed as pensionable age.

You can check if you are classed as pensionable age on the GOV.UK website

Please note that in submitting new Housing Benefit claims there are new rules for couples from May 2019 where a couple will be classed as pensionable age or working age based on the age of the youngest member of the couple.

There is a filter on the form to identify if you cannot claim Housing Benefit and should claim Universal Credit.

If this applies to you please then contact the Department for Works and Pension to claim Universal Credit.

Council Tax Reduction

Council Tax Reduction can help you with your Council Tax.

To apply you will need to answer all applicable questions in the online form. 

As you fill in the form, it monitors what you are entering and activates or deactivates different areas depending on whether they are relevant to you. You only have to fill in the cyan coloured areas.

Completing the claim form

Please be aware that you will need to complete all the mandatory questions on the form and that you will not be able to submit the form without doing this.


We need to see evidence of some of the things you tell us about, we must see original documents.  The form will give you a list of exactly what evidence we need to see to support your claim.  We cannot pay you benefit until we have seen the evidence we have asked for.

Advantages of using the online form:

  • you can fill in the form off-line, without being connected to the Internet
  • to protect your privacy, all the information you enter on the form is encrypted
  • you don’t have to fill it in all in one go - you can save the form on your computer and come back to it later
  • the form will help and guide you as you work through it to ensure that you only fill in the parts that are relevant to your claim
  • the form checks itself for errors and it highlights anything you have missed
  • the form will give you a list of exactly what evidence we need to see to support your claim
  • as soon as you have completed the form, you can submit it directly to us so we can begin processing your claim without delay

Further help

If you have a question about your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction claim or need help to fill in the form, please contact the benefit section on 01248 750057, or fill in our online enquiry form.