Skip to content

Cyngor Sir Ynys Môn - Isle of Anglesey County Council

Food business approval

Do I need approval?

Your food business will need approval, (Approval), if you intend to use "non-processed products that come from animals" e.g. fresh meat, raw mince, raw milk, eggs, to produce any one, or a combination of the following:

  • Meat products
  • Minced meat, meat preparations and mechanically separated meat
  • Live bi-valve molluscs and fishery products
  • Raw milk (other than raw cows’ milk)
  • Dairy products
  • Eggs (not primary production)
  • Egg products
  • Frogs legs and snails
  • Rendered animal fats and greaves
  • Treated stomachs, bladders and intestines
  • Gelatine and collagen
  • Certain cold stores and wholesale markets
More information on the Approval process


If your food business supplies food of animal origin direct to the final consumer (the person who eats the food product) then your business will be exempt from approval, however you will need to ensure that your business is registered with us.

What do I need to do?

If you think your proposed food business may need to be approved, please contact us to arrange a visit to your intended property.

As well as meeting specific structural requirements, your premises will need to have a Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point  system in place. (HACCP)

If your food business requires approval, you can not act until the approval has been given by the authority, and an unique approval number has been issued, which must be applied to the product. You are also required to have sufficient training in applying the principles of HACCP and for you and your staff to have been instructed or trained in food hygiene issues to a level that is appropriate for your posts.