Skip to content

Cyngor Sir Ynys Môn - Isle of Anglesey County Council

Trading standards guidance

Trade associations and regulatory bodies

This guidance is for England, Scotland and Wales

If you are in dispute with a trader and the trader is a member of a trade association or is regulated by a professional body, you may be able to get advice or assistance from the relevant association or body.

There are trade associations and professional bodies in all sectors - for example, the building industry, motor vehicles, electrical goods, holidays, estate agency, lettings and financial services.

What is a trade association?

A trade association is an organisation that works in the collective interests of its members in a particular industry.

Does a business have to be in a trade association?

For some 'regulated professions' such as doctors and architects it may be required but generally there is no obligation for a business to be in one.

How can they help me?

Some trade associations provide a dispute resolution scheme as part of their service so if you have a complaint against one of their members, they can assist in resolving it. In some cases they will be able to provide experts to examine work / products if the cause of the problem is in dispute.

A selection of trade associations are listed below. The list is not exhaustive; there are many others. If you cannot find an appropriate one, contact the Citizens Advice consumer service, which may be able to assist you.

What is the Consumer Codes Approval Scheme (CCAS)?

The Consumer Codes Approval Scheme (CCAS), which is run the by the Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI), was set up with a view to increasing consumer protection and improving customer service standards by assisting trade associations to regulate themselves. CTSI approves and promotes codes of practice, sets out the principles of effective customer service and requires traders to have robust alternative dispute resolution schemes.

For more information on the Consumer Codes Approval Scheme, visit the CCAS section of the CTSI website (you can also search for approved code members on the site).

List of trade associations and regulatory bodies

Please note that the inclusion of an organisation in the list below does not imply any approval or warranty as to the standing or capability of that organisation by the Chartered Trading Standards Institute.

A number of the organisations listed are not trade associations. These are marked * and are mostly regulatory bodies, which may be of use to consumers.


Advertising Standards Authority (ASA)*
Castle House, 37-45 Paul Street, London, EC2A 4LS
Tel: 020 7492 2222


Federation of Master Builders (FMB)
David Croft House, 25 Ely Place, London, EC1N 6TD
Tel: 0330 333 7777

National Federation of Roofing Contractors (NFRC)
31 Worship Street, London, EC2A 2DY
Tel: 020 7638 7663

National House Building Council
NHBC House, Davy Avenue, Knowlhill, Milton Keynes, Bucks MK5 8FP
Tel: 0800 035 6422

Arena Business Centre, The Square, Basing View, Basingstoke, RG21 4EB
Tel: 0333 555 1234


National Conciliation Service
PO Box 6562, Rugby, CV21 9QP
Tel: 01788 538318

Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders Ltd (SMMT)
71 Great Peter Street, London, SW1P 2BN
Tel: 020 7235 7000

Motor Ombudsman 
71 Great Peter Street, London, SW1P 2BN
Tel:  0345 241 3008 (option 1)

Scottish Motor Trade Association (SMTA)
Palmerston House, 10 The Loan, South Queensferry, EH30 9NS
Tel: 0131 331 5510


Association of Plumbing and Heating Contractors (APHC)
12 The Pavilions, Cranmore Drive, Solihull, B90 4SB
Tel: 0121 711 5030

British Association of Removers (BAR)
Tangent House, 62 Exchange Road, Watford, Hertfordshire, WD18 0TG
Tel: 01923 699486

Glass and Glazing Federation (GGF)
40 Rushworth Street, London, SE1 0RB
Tel: 020 7939 9100

Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering (CIPHE)
64 Station Lane, Hornchurch, Essex, RM12 6NB
Tel: 01708 472 791

Severn House, Unit 5 Newtown Trading Estate, Green Lane, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20 8HD
Tel: 01684 278170

National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting (NICEIC)
Warwick House, Houghton Hall Park, Houghton Regis, Dunstable, Bedfordshire, LU5 5ZX
Tel: 0333 015 6625

Oil Firing Technical Association (OFTEC)
Unit 25, Riduna Park, Statin Road, Melton, Woodbridge, IP12 1QT
Tel: 01473 626298

Scottish and Northern Ireland Plumbing Employers' Federation (SNIPEF)
Bellevue House, 22 Hopetoun Street, Edinburgh, EH7 4GH
Tel: 0131 556 0600

Fair Trades
Station View, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 4AN
Tel: 0800 131 0123


Office of Communications (OFCOM)*
Riverside House, 2a Southwark Bridge Road, London, SE1 9HA
Tel: 0300 123 3333


Radio, Electrical and Television Retailers' Association (RETRA)
1st Floor, Woburn Court, 2 Railton Road, Woburn Road Industrial Estate, Kempston, Bedford, MK42 7PN
Tel: 01234 269 110


Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)*
12 Endeavour Square, London, E20 1JN
Tel: 0800 111 6768 (Freephone) or 0300 500 8082

Building Societies Association (BSA)
6th Floor, York House, 23 Kingsway, London, WC2B 6UJ
Tel: 020 7520 5900

Companies House*
Companies House, Crown Way, Cardiff, CF14 3UZ
Tel: 0303 1234 500

Insolvency Service*
4 Abbey Orchard Street, London, SW1P 2HT
Tel: 0300 678 0015

UK Finance
5th Floor,1 Angel Court, London, EC2R 7HJ

Financial Ombudsman Service
Exchange Tower, Harbour Exchange, London, E14 9SR
Tel: 0800 0234 567


(including beds, cabinets, carpets and other floor coverings, bathrooms, bedrooms, kitchens and upholstery)

The Furniture Ombudsman
Premier House, First Floor, 1-5 Argyle Way, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, SG1 2AD
Tel: 0333 241 3209


General Dental Council (GDC)
37 Wimpole Street, London, W1G 8DQ
Tel: 020 7167 6000

General Optical Council (GOC)
10 Old Bailey, London, EC4M 7NG
Tel: 020 7580 3898


Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA)
30 Park Street, London, SE1 9EQ

Association of Independent Tour Operators (AITO)
18 Bridle Lane, Twickenham, Middlesex, TW1 3EG
Tel: 020 8744 9280

Civil Aviation Authority (CAA)*
Aviation House, Beehive Ringroad, Crawley, West Sussex, RH6 0YR
Tel: 0330 022 1500

Office of Rail and Road (ORR)*
25 Cabot Square, London, E14 4QZ
Tel: 020 7282 2000

Transport Focus
Albany House, 86 Petty France, London, SW1H 9EA
Tel: 0300 123 0860


Association of British Insurers (ABI)
One America Square, 17 Crosswall, London, EC3N 2LB
Tel: 020 7600 3333


Law Society of England and Wales
The Law Society's Hall, 113 Chancery Lane, London, WC2A 1PL

Law Society of Scotland
Atria One, 144 Morrison Street, Edinburgh, EH3 8EX
Tel: 0131 226 7411


Direct Marketing Association (DMA)
DMA House, 70 Margaret Street, London, W1W 8SS
Tel: 020 7291 3300

Mailing Preference Service*
DMA House, 70 Margaret Street, London, W1W 8SS
Tel: 020 7291 3310
The MPS website also has links to the Telephone, Fax and Baby Mailing Preference Services


Arbon House, 6 Tournament Court, Edgehill Drive, Warwick, CV34 6LG
Tel: 01926 496 800

Cheltenham Office Park, Hatherley Lane, Cheltenham, GL51 6SH
Tel: 01242 581712

The Property Ombudsman (TPOS)
Milford House, 43-55 Milford Street, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1 2BP
Tel: 01722 333306

Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA)
66 Portland Place, London, W1B 1AD
Tel: 020 7307 5355

Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
12 Great George Street, London, SW1P 3AD
Tel: 024 7686 8555


Office of Gas and Electricity Markets (OFGEM)*
10 South Colonnade, Canary Wharf, London, E14 4PU
Tel: 020 7901 7000

Office of Gas and Electricity Markets - Glasgow 
Commonwealth House, 32 Albion Street, Glasgow, G1 1LH
Tel: 0141 331 2678

Ombudsman Services: Energy
PO Box 966 Warrington, WA4 9DF
Tel: 0330 440 1624

Office of Water Services (OFWAT)
Centre City Tower, 7 Hill Street, Birmingham, B5 4UA
Tel: 0300 034 2222

Consumer Council for Water
23 Stephenson Street, Birmingham, B2 4BH
Tel: 0300 034 2222

Last reviewed / updated: July 2022

Key legislation

  • There is no key legislation for this guide

Please note

This information is intended for guidance; only the courts can give an authoritative interpretation of the law.

The guide's 'Key legislation' links may only show the original version of the legislation, although some amending legislation is linked to separately where it is directly related to the content of a guide. Information on amendments to legislation can be found on each link's 'More Resources' tab.

For further information in England and Wales contact the Citizens Advice consumer service on 0808 2231133. In Scotland contact Advice Direct Scotland on 0808 164 6000. Both provide free, confidential and impartial advice on consumer issues.

© 2023 itsa Ltd.