Holyhead, Llangefni and Amlwch
Isle of Anglesey County Council is looking for expressions of interest from owners and developers of empty premises and floorspace in the town centres of Holyhead, Llangefni and Amlwch.
The Empty Homes Team may be able to give financial support to landlords/empty property owners to bring empty domestic floorspace back into use as affordable housing to applicants on the Isle of Anglesey County Council’s Housing Register.
Consideration will also be given to supporting the conversion of vacant commercial upper floorspace/ground floorspace in secondary frontage areas to residential use, subject to any required planning consent being in place.
Grant assisted works must be completed by March 2024.
The scheme relies on projects qualifying for Welsh Government Transforming Towns Place Making Grant funding for eligible town centres through the council.
An offer of a grant is not guaranteed until the owner/landlord has received a formal approval from the council.
Any works undertaken prior to receiving approval would not be eligible for grant and would be at your own cost.
- This type of assistance is discretionary.
- The property must have been registered with the local authority as empty for a minimum of 6 months.
- Property must be located within the town centres boundaries (link to map) of Holyhead, Amlwch or Llangefni.
- Priority will be given to 2 bedroom terrace or semi-detached properties or 1 bedroom flats.
- Applicants must be the registered owner(s) of the property and registered with Rent Smart Wales.
- To qualify for grant assistance the property owner must enter into a Nomination Right Agreement with the council for a period of 5 years and/or agree to let the property at an affordable rent which is within the Local Housing Allowance (link to Local Housing Allowance on GOV.WALES) for a period of 5 years.
- Eligible works must be agreed, upon inspection by the council.
- The property should be let to tenants on the Council Housing Register for a period of five years as noted within the Nomination Rights Agreement.
- The percentage of grant that can be awarded will be 70% of the total cost of works, up to a maximum of £25,000.
- Evidence of adequate finance to meet the shortfall between the total cost of works and the grant awarded will be required.
- The grant will be secured as a local land charge for a period of 5 years from the date of completion of work and must be repaid in full if the applicant sells the property before the end of the agreed period or breaches the terms of the Nomination Right Agreement.
Expression of interest form
To be considered for the scheme, please complete the online Expression of Interest Form.
Go to the online expression of interest form
Questions about the scheme
Any queries relating to the scheme or grant conditions should be referred to:
Empty Homes Officer
Isle of Anglesey County Council
Telephone 01248 750 230 / 07971 156 155