Skip to content

Cyngor Sir Ynys Môn - Isle of Anglesey County Council

Tenancy Hardship Grant for private rented sector tenants


To apply for a Tenancy Hardship Grant (THG), you must have had financial hardship due to the Covid-19 pandemic that meant that you have not been able to pay your rent. 

You will

  • have built up 8 weeks or more of rent arrears between 1 March 2020 and 30 June 2021
  • have struggled to pay your rent or rent arrears due to Covid-19
  • live in and hold a tenancy for a private sector property in Anglesey
  • not have been getting housing benefit or housing cost payments through Universal Credit when you built up your rent arrears
  • not have been able to fully pay your rent during the period when you went into arrears because of Covid-19

You will not be able to get a Tenancy Hardship Grant if you have not experienced financial hardship during Covid-19 and deliberately not paid your rent to your landlord or agent.

What you will need to make an application

When you apply you will need to provide evidence to help the local authority to make a decision on whether to award you with a grant. You will need

  • proof of ID (a driving licence or a passport or a birth certificate with household bills that prove your address for the last three months)
  • a copy of your bank statements for at least the past two months (including any saving accounts you have)
  • a copy of your tenancy agreement
  • evidence and explanation that you have not been able to pay your rent because of Covid-19 – which will include a review of your finances

The local authority might ask you for other information or evidence to help to support your application for grant.  Providing this quickly, will help them to process your application.

How to apply

To apply, use this email address: or telephone 01248 752 200. 

Please include 'THG Support Grant' as the subject line of your email. This will help us identify that you are applying for a grant.

After you submit your application

Your details will be checked and you will be contacted about your application. You will be expected to provide information on your income, how you have been affected by the pandemic, and how this has affected your ability to pay your rent.

It is helpful to let your landlord or agent know that you are applying for a grant, as the local authority will also contact your landlord or agent who will be asked to provide a written statement confirming that you are a tenant of theirs and that you are in rent arrears and by how much.

The local authority will then let you know whether your application has been approved or not. You may also be contacted if you need to provide more information.

If your application is approved

If your application is approved, your grant will be paid to the landlord on your behalf.

This grant will not need to be paid back.

If your application is not approved

Your application will be refused if you do not meet the eligibility criteria or have not provided the evidence needed to take forward your application.

You could also get help and advice from Shelter Cymru or Citizen’s Advice Cymru.

Ongoing support for tenants

Some tenants may need further help outside of the Tenancy Hardship Grant scheme, and as such, the local authority may contact you to discuss these requirements directly.

Landlords and agents

Landlord or agent declaration form

When a tenant submits an application for the Tenancy Hardship Grant, officials from the local authority housing department will be in touch with you or your agent.

The local authority is required to verify information on the tenant’s application form, including the value of monthly rental payments, the level of rent arrears accrued and verify that the tenant is living and holds a tenancy agreement for the property on the application form.

You or your agent will be asked by the local authority to complete a declaration form verifying the information, and it would be helpful for progressing the application if landlords and agents respond promptly to these requests.

Landlord or agent bank details

The grant payment, if awarded, is paid to each landlord on behalf of the tenant for the rent arrears owed.

You or your agent will, as such, be expected to provide bank details to enable the local authority to make this payment. This is included as part of the landlord or agent declaration form.

Landlord registration with Rent Smart Wales (RSW)

To operate as a landlord in Wales, you and your property must be registered with Rent Smart Wales (RSW).

The local authority will check that you are registered using the RSW Public Register as part of the application process.

If your property is not registered, the local authority will report your property to RSW for further investigation. Information on how to register with RSW can be found on their website.


Necessary cookies are required for basic functions such as page navigation, managing content delivery and our live help service. The website cannot function properly without these cookies and cannot be disabled.



Preference cookies enable the website to remember your language preference or optional controls.



Analytical and statistics cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website by collecting and reporting information anonymously.