Skip to content

Cyngor Sir Ynys Môn - Isle of Anglesey County Council

Support in hospital

The Housing and Social Services Department provides a social work service for Anglesey residents in Ysbyty Gwynedd, or in any of the local community hospitals.

We have a team of social workers and care assessors based at Ysbyty Gwynedd and they are available to discuss personal matters in connection with illness or discharge from hospital. They offer support, advice and information about a range of social care services. They can also undertake assessments for services such as:

  • home care and other domiciliary support services on discharge from hospital
  • rehabilitative support to assist your recovery on discharge from hospital
  • short or long term care in a residential or nursing home of your choice

Discharge from hospital

Leaving hospital can be a difficult experience, especially if the person leaving is unable to function as they did before. It can be a difficult time for carers too. Health and social services staff are responsible for conducting a joint assessment of the needs of patients whilst they are in hospital in order to determine what care and support services they may need after leaving hospital.

Where there are difficulties arising from to or discharge from hospital, the hospital social work service should be approached for information and advice.

Assessment of needs and care planning

Hopefully we will be able to provide you with enough information and advice when you first make contact but you may feel that you need a further discussion about your situation and needs. In this case, ask for an assessment, which means discussing your personal circumstances with a member of the Hospital Social Work Team, to consider the most appropriate plans and support services for you after leaving hospital.

With your permission, and as part of the assessment, the social worker or care assessor will also work closely with medical, nursing and therapy staff in order to determine the best possible ways to meet your needs. As part of the process, we will discuss with you the services available to support you in the community and if necessary a care plan will be agreed with those involved.

The care plan will detail the service/s you will need after leaving hospital. Carers who wish to have a separate assessment of their own needs may request this. The aim of this assessment will be to assist the carer to continue in the caring role and to receive support services that will enable them to access social and leisure opportunities.

Social Services in the community

We may charge for some services in the care plan. The social worker or care assessor will explain the charging policy to you and provide you with information regarding community services and the charges for these services.

Short or long term care in a residential or nursing home

On leaving hospital, it may not be practical or safe for some people to return to their own home in the community and they may require care in a residential or nursing home of their choice in the public or private sector.

Responsibility for paying for private and local authority care homes rests with the individual concerned. However some people may be eligible for financial assistance towards the fees and their eligibility can be established following a financial assessment.

The social worker will be able to explain the funding system to you in more detail and provide you with further information.