Skip to content

Cyngor Sir Ynys Môn - Isle of Anglesey County Council

Carer's assessment

Social Services has a duty to assess your needs.

Your assessment will identify the types of support that may be available to you. This may include:

  • giving you a break / respite, such as support in your home or residential or day care for the person you care for
  • equipment that will help you look after the person you care for
  • something else important to you which will make a difference
  • direct payments which you can use to buy services

Where to get information and support

Contact us on 01248 752752.

If your dependent relative or friend is in hospital, you can request an assessment through the nursing staff on the ward or by contacting the Social Work Team at Ysbyty Gwynedd on 01248 384968.

If your dependent relative or friend is receiving support through the Community Mental Health Team, you can contact Hafod Las on 01248 750191 or Craig Hyfryd on 01407 764231.

You can also request an assessment through your local G.P. surgery. As part of their contract, each G.P. surgery are required to have a procedure in place to identify carers and refer on to Social Services for an assessment where appropriate.    

If the first person you speak to is unable to answer all your questions, then we will arrange for either a social worker or another appropriate professional assessor to visit at home in order to:

  • clarify your situation
  • inform you of the services available
  • offer advice and assistance
  • conduct a full assessment of your needs as a carer and those of your dependent relative / friend and discuss which services can be provided to meet your needs

In order to carry out a full assessment, it may be necessary to involve other professionals that may include an occupational therapist, a disability aviser or other community health professional. We also may need to contact your G.P. with your agreement.

In an emergency, we will arrange for your needs to be assessed within 24 hours. In emergencies during weekends and holiday periods, the Out-of Hours Service can be contacted on 01286 675502 or advice can be obtained through NHS Direct on 0845 4647.    

If we provide services to meet you needs following the Assessment, then you will receive a full explanation of the support services which are to be provided and any cost you or your dependent relative / friend may have to pay.

You have the right to receive a copy of your care plan which will confirm in writing:

  • your assessed needs
  • the services we will provide to meet the needs
  • the service objectives
  • details of when you will receive these services
  • who will be responsible for providing services

You will be asked to sign to care plan in order to indicate your agreement to the services offered. The Care Plan will also include the name and telephone number of the person responsible for your service from the Department or any other agency / provider.