Isle of Anglesey County Council is looking for expressions of interest from the owners or leaseholders of commercial property in the town centres of Llangefni and Amlwch who wish to carry out property improvement works in the near future.
We may be able to give financial support for physical property improvements.
Grant assisted works must be completed by March 2024.
The scheme relies on projects qualifying for the Welsh Government Transforming Towns Place Making Grant funding for eligible town centres through the council.
An offer of a grant is not guaranteed until the owner/ leaseholder has received and accepted a formal written grant approval from the council.
Any works undertaken prior to receiving approval would not be eligible for grant and would be at your own cost. Relevant professional fees may potentially be eligible.
- This type of assistance is discretionary.
- The property must be located within the recognised town centres of Amlwch or Llangefni.
- The property must be in or for commercial use (separate schemes apply to support residential use projects) but upper floors may be residential.
- Priority will be given to projects that result in bringing vacant premises back into use, and/or those that result in a significant publicly visible improvements compared to the existing situation.
- The works and use of the property must satisfy relevant statutory requirements, such as planning, conservation area, building and fire regulations.
- Eligible works must be agreed, upon inspection by the council.
- This is a pilot scheme with a limited budget and only a small number of projects may be supported.
If agreed by the council, this grant may potentially be used in conjunction with other financial support, such as property works loan schemes managed by the Empty Homes Team, subject to Welsh Government match-funding requirements being met.
- The maximum grant that can be awarded will be 65% of the total cost of works, up to a maximum grant of £49,999
- Evidence of adequate finance to meet the shortfall between the total cost of works and the grant awarded will be required.
- The Council reserve the right to require a local land charge for a period of 5 years from the date of completion of work.
- The grant or a proportion of it may need to be repaid if the property is sold or the ground floor becomes non-commercial within a period of five years from the date of completion of work.
- The applicant must either own the property, or have a lease of a least 7 years remaining after the works completion and have the owner’s written agreement to the work and grant conditions.
- The project must comply with the Welsh Government’s Transforming Towns Place Making Grant conditions.
- Only costs directly relating to property improvements are eligible for this capital grant.
Expression of interest form
To be considered for the scheme, please complete the expression of interest form.
Closing date: 29 September 2023
Go to the online expression of interest form
Questions about the scheme
Any queries relating to the scheme or grant conditions should be referred to:
Isle of Anglesey County Council
Anglesey Business Centre
Telephone: 01248 752 435
There are a number of other financial support schemes that can apply to improving town centre premises or empty property on Anglesey.
You have a right to know about the way information about you is used by us.